Herb shoots 73 and ties for eighth at 215 as the unranked Tommies slay some of the small-school men's golf giants to take the team title seven shots over No. 2-ranked Huntingdon (Ala.) .
NCAA Division III golf
- Gift of giving inspires Carroll graduate Donald F. Kelley to leave $1.4 million legacy gift to fund Pioneers golf programs
- Middleton's Emmet Herb, St. Thomas (Minn.) close strong to win 18-team Golfweek Division III Preview in Florida
- Oct. 17: NCAA Division III men | Golfweek Division III Fall Preview (Sandestin, Florida)
- Whitewater's Ashley Hofmeister named WIAC Player-of-the-Year; Stout's Rachel Hernandez earns third first-team honor
- Oct. 16: NCAA Division III men | E. Herb, C. O'Neil, UW-Eau Claire at Golfweek Fall Invitational (Sandestin, Fla.)
- Oct. 8: NCAA Division III women | K. Alvarez, M. Biesmann, M. McCorkle at MIAC Championship (Becker, Minn.)
- Oct. 8: NCAA Division III men | Edgewood, MSOE, Marian at NACC Championship (Whistling Straits-Irish Course)
- Oct. 8: NCAA Division III women | WIAC Championship (Reedsburg CC)
- CheyAnn Knudsen transfers focus to UW-Whitewater final-round comeback bid, walks away with WIAC medalist, team titles
- Oct. 6: NCAA Division III women | WIAC Championship (Reedsburg CC)
- UW-Stout, UW-Whitewater shatter single-day WIAC scoring mark; leader Rachel Hernandez keeps Stout three shots ahead
- Oct. 7: NCAA Division III women | CCIW Championship (Prairie Landing GC-West Chicago, Ill.)
- Carthage College's Sarah Lyman wins rain-shortened CCIW championship, but Lady Reds take second to Illinois Wesleyan
- Oct. 7: NCAA Division III women | K. Alvarez, M. McCorkle, M. Biesmann at MIAC Championship (Becker, Minn.)
- Oct. 7: NCAA Division III women | A. Zahn, E. Opsal, M. Acker at Iowa Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Championship (Cedar Falls, IA)
- Oct. 6: NCAA Division III men | UW-Superior, Northland at UMAC Conference Tournament (Alexandria GC-Alexandria, Minn.)
- Oct. 6: NCAA Division III women | St. Norbert at Midwest Conference Tournament (Aldeen GC-Rockford, Ill.)
- Oct. 6: NCAA Division III women | UW-Superior at UMAC Conference Tournament (Alexandria, Minn.)
- Oct. 6: NCAA Division III women | WIAC Conference Tournament (Reedsburg CC)
- Oct. 6: NCAA Division III women | Carthage, Carroll at CCIW Championship (Prairie Landing GC-West Chicago, Ill.)
- Oct. 6: NCAA Division I women | Wisconsin at Bettie Lou Evans Invitational (University of Kentucky-Blue)
- UW-Stout leads tight team race at WIAC women's golf championship; UW-Oshkosh's Micayla Richards tops individuals with 75
- Oct. 5: NCAA Division III women | Carthage, Carroll at CCIW Championship (Prairie Landing GC, Chicago)
- Oct. 2: NCAA Division III men | E. Herb at MIAC Championship (Ridges at Sand Creek, Jordan, Minn.)
- Oct. 2: NCAA Division III men | Carthage, Edgewood, others at MSOE Invitational (Grand Geneva Resort-Lake Geneva)
- Oct. 1: NCAA Division III men | Carthage, Marien, Concordia, others at MSOE Invitational (Grand Geneva Resort)
- Oct. 1: NCAA Division III women | Stevens Point Invitational (Stevens Point CC)
- Oct. 1: NCAA Division III men | E. Herb at MIAC Championship (Jordan, Minn.)
- Oct. 1: NCAA Division III women | 2017 NACC Championship (Meadowbrook CC-Racine)
- Leah Wilde, Maddy Zastrow go 1-2, but Molly Mundinger's big finish helps Concordia rally past Aurora, win NACC
- Sept. 30: NCAA Division III women | Concordia, Lakeland, others at NACC Championship (Meadowbrook CC-Racine)
- Maddy Zastrow, Leah Wilde are 1-2, but Concordia's 358 only keeps pace with Aurora at NACC women's golf chamiponship
- Concordia (Wis.) University eight shots back of Aurora University after one round of NACC Championship in Racine
- Sept. 29: Concordia, Lakeland, others at 2017 NACC Conference Tournament (Meadowbrook CC-Racine)
- Sept. 25: NCAA Division III men | Carthage, Edgewood, others at Wis. Lutheran Invitational (Washington County GC)
- Eau Claire's Kaitlyn Alvarez fires back-to-back 75s, repeats as College City Challenge champion for St. Catherine's
- Sept. 24: NCAA Division III men | UW-Eau Claire, others at TC Invitational (Elk River Minn.)
- Sept. 24: NCAA Division III men | Carthage, Edgewood, etc. at Wis. Lutheran Invite (Washington County GC-Hartford)
- Sept. 24: Collegiate Club Golf | NCCGA North Region Tournament (Broadlands GC-North Prairie, Wis.)
- Sept. 24: NCAA Division III women | Carroll University at Mount Mary (Currie Park GC-Milwaukee)
- UW-Whitewater women's golf team wins second event of fall season, takes own invitational at Blackhawk CC in Madison
- Sept. 23: NCAA Division III women | UW-Whitewater Fall Invitational (Blackhawk CC-Madison)
- Sept. 22: NCAA Division III women | UW-Whitewater Fall Invitational (Blackhawk CC-Madison)
- Sept. 17: NCAA Division III men | UW-Eau Claire, Stout at St. John's Invitational (Sartell, Minn.)
- Sept. 17: NCAA Division III women | UW-Stout, Eau Claire, River Falls at DIII Classic (The Jewel GC-Lake City, Minn)
- Sept. 17: NCAA Division III women | UW-Oshkosh, UW-Whitewater, Carthage, Carroll at Illinois Wesleyan Fall Classic (Ironwood GC-Normal, Ill.)
- Sept. 17: NCAA Division III | Marian Invitational (Whispering Springs GC-Fond du Lac)
- Sept. 16: NCAA Division III women | UW-Stout, UW-Eau Claire, UW-River Falls at DIII Classic (The Jewel-Lake City, Minn.)
- Sept. 16: NCAA Division III women | UW-Oshkosh, UW-Whitewater, Carthage & Carroll at Illinois Wesleyan Fall Classic (Ironwood GC-Normal, Ill.) | Day 1
- Sept. 13: NCAA Division III women | Northland College Invitational (Chequamegon Bay GC)
Hofmeister, the 2016 WIAC Champion, earned conference player-of-the-week honors twice during 2017 and finished second at the WIAC Championship. Hernandez is just the 12th golfer in WIAC history to earn at least three first-team all-conference honors.
REEDSBURG -- CheyAnn Knudsen believed her chances of reaching the NCAA Division III women’s golf championship would improve after her transfer last summer from Carthage College to UW-Whitewater. And the sophomore from Milton believed it could happen quickly.
The Blue Devils senior's 2-over-par 74 moved her to 10-over 154 and one shot ahead of Whitewater's CheyAnn Knudsen and Stout's Trystin Kluess entering the final round.
WEST CHICAGO, Illinois — Rain washed out the final round of the 2017 College Conference of Illinois & Wisconsin women's golf championship Saturday at Prairie Landing GC, making Carthage College junior Sarah Lyman the conference champion with a 36-hole total of 5-over-par 149.
REEDSBURG -- Given her choice, Trystin Kluess would rather not know how her UW-Stout women’s golf teammates are doing as a round unfolds.
The freshman from West Bend shoots a final-round 86 — a double-digit improvement over her first two rounds of the 54-hole event — and helps the Falcons erase an eight-stroke deficit, knocking the three-time defending NACC champion Spartans by 10 strokes.
Maddy Zastrow and Leah Wilde shoot matching 85s and Kayla Haen shaves 19 strokes off her opening-round 108 with an 89 as Concordia shoots a 358 and maintains its grip on second place, eight shots behind the Spartans
RACINE -- A year ago, Aurora (Illinois) University posted a number on opening day of the Northern Athletic Collegiate Conference women’s golf championship that couldn’t be beat.
The former Eau Claire North standout catches Wartburg's Brooke Klostermann (70-80) for top honors and leads St. Kate's to a third place finish as a team with a two-day score of 651.
MADISON -- The UW-Whitewater women's golf team won its second tournament of the season Saturday, placing first at its own, 17-team UW-Whitewater Fall Classic at Blackhawk CC.
Senior Rachel Hernandez fires a final-round 75 to set the Blue Devils' 36-hole scoring record by four shots while the team shoots a 308 to break its 36-hole program scoring record by two shots.
The Blue Devils shoot a 310, matching the second-lowest score in program history, and are seven shots behind St. Catherine's entering Sunday's final round.
WEST DUNDEE, Illinois — Matt Meneghetti shot even-par 71 and earned a share of medalist honors Saturday, leading host Carthage College to a second-place finish at its Tim Kopka Memorial Tournament at the Randall Oaks GC.
Senior Rachel Hernandez and sophomores Madison McCambridge and Alexa Filipiak all shot 8-over-par 81s in the final round as the Blue Devils closed with a 326 and prevailed with a 666 total. The host Titans were second with 675.
JANESVILLE — Its quality was as good as its quantity Saturday at Glen Erin GC as the Edgewood College men's golf team flirted with history.
The sophomore bogeyed her final hole to shoot 78 and finish the 36-hole event at 15-over-par 159, one shot ahead of Jordyn Rioux of runner-up Hope, who double-bogeyed her final hole to shoot 81.
CORAL SPRINGS, Flordia -- At least 29 golfers with Wisconsin ties have been named Women's Golf Coaches Association All-American Scholars, the association announced Wednesday.
The 2009 Carthage graduate and 2015 Hall of Fame inductee replaces Mike Scardina, who held the position the last two seasons on a part-time basis. Assistant coach Carly Werwie will stay on while she completes work on a master's degree.
HOWEY-IN-THE-HILLS, Florida -- The race for low Wisconsin school at the NCAA Division III Championship was a spirited one Tuesday, even if it didn't take place near the top of the leaderboard.
HOUSTON, Texas -- Nikki Isaacson had two big reasons to play well Friday in the final round of the NCAA Division III women’s golf championship. And when all 72 of the tension-filled holes were finally finished, the former Racine Prairie star hoisted the reason that mattered most.
Junior Rachel Hernandez shot 83 and her four freshmen teammates all finish right on her heels as the Blue Devils fire a final-round 337 and slip to 14th place -- the same spot they were seeded coming into the championship -- with a 72-hole total of 160-over-par 1,312.
The former Racine Prairie School standout shoots her second 71 in three days to reach the 54-hole mark at 3-over 219, tied with individual qualifier Christina Herbert of Bridgewater. The Blue Devils struggle for the second day in a row and drop a spot into 12th.
The junior from Connecticut is the only Blue Devils golfer to break 80 as Stout fires a 327 amid windy, humid conditions in the final tee times of the day.
The Blue Devils also get a collegiate-best 80 from No. 5 golfer Marie Allo in finishing Day 1 of the four-day championship six spots above their seed.
When the Blue Devils last played in the national meet in 2015, Hernandez was the lone freshman on a team with four seniors.
DECATUR, Illinois -- Kyle Donovan and the Carthage College men’s golf team did what it could Saturday to give the NCAA Division III Championship committee something to think about as it begins its deliberations over the seven at-large berths for the upcoming championship.
Luke Bourneuf, a freshman from Lake Geneva, leads three Green Knights men’s golfers in the top 10 as the Green Knights fire a final-round 316 for a 54-hole total of 949 and hold off Lake Forest (314-952) to win the Midwest Conference Championship at Aldeen GC in Rockford.
DECATUR, Illinois -- Kyle Donovan shot rounds of 73 and 72 and grabbed a two-stroke lead after 36 holes of the rain-shortened College Conference of Illinois & Wisconsin Conference Tournament at Red Tail Run.
He leads St. Norbert teammates Joe Scherer and Eric Bagg by seven shots as the Green Knights showcase their depth.
ST. CLOUD, Minnesota – There was a youth movement Saturday on the UW-Eau Claire men's golf team.
HASTINGS, Minnesota — Coach Howie Samb challenged his UW-Stout women's golf team to improve its preparation before the Carleton Invitational and its focus from start-to-finish.
MIDDLETON -- It might not have been the best weather to play golf Friday, but that didn't stop Matt Meneghetti and the Carthage College men's golf team.
Garrett Ralson and Tim Pridemore shoot matching 74s as the Warriors fire a 304 and hold off Edgewood College (299) to win the spring championship by three strokes at Stonebridge CC in Aurora, Illinois.
Former Janesville Parker standout Kailey McDade of Carroll University, competing as an individual, finishes third after a closing 79 at the tough Beloit Club.
Sarah Lyman shot 78 and the Lady Reds edged Illinois Wesleyan 329-330 at the Beloit Club. CheyAnn Knudsen (81), Stephanie Walter (84) and Carlee Dawson (86) rounded out the scoring for Carthage.
The Red Men shot 595 and finished 19 strokes behind Illinois Wesleyan, which beat Black Hawk Community College by 17 strokes to claim the team championship.
SHERRARD, Illinois -- Brady Hanson and the UW-Eau Claire men’s golf team put it all together Friday at the Augustana (Ill.) Invitational.
The four other golfers in the lineup for Carthage are all tied for 25th at 5-over as the Lady Reds are seven shots behind first-place Washington University of St. Louis.
The Broncos senior turns down recruiting interest from UW-Whitewater, University of Sioux Falls to give the Lady Reds a second impact recruit in their 2017 class.
ST. LOUIS -- A torrid start put senior Nikki Isaacson in position to win the Washington University Spring Invitational women’s golf tournament but a bumpy stretch midway through her round Sunday knocked the former Racine Prairie athlete out of contention for the elusive title.
COLFAX - Howie Samb spent the fall developing the top of the lineup for the UW-Stout women's golf team.
NORMAL, Illinois -- Matt Meneghetti shot his second straight 73 and finished tied for fifth as the Carthage College men's golf team placed second to the host school Saturday at the Illniois Wesleyan Invitational at Ironwood GC.
Knudsen, a freshman from Milton, followed up her opening-round 72 with a 79 and won the 36-hole event with a 7-over-par 151 total. That was three strokes better than Lyman, a sophomore from Normal, Illinois, who shot back-to-back rounds of 77 to finish second.
The Golden Eagles senior announces Wednesday that he has chosen the Blue Devils over Wisconsin Lutheran, Carthage College and St. Norbert.
If Hailey Smoot could, she would head off to class at Carthage College tomorrow.
Geer, who resigned as head coach after the fall season in 2015 to spend more time with his family, served as an assistant this past fall under Courtney Everett, who resigned in December after one year on the job.
After a year of trying to juggle both roles, Everett says the long hours "takes a toll" and prompted her to focus on her duties as morning news anchor at WEAU-TV.
The second-team all-Big Eight Conference selection choose a balance between academics and athletics in deciding to play golf for the Blugolds.